Lechler Primer

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
tecwarrior
POC Newbie
Year: 1977
Model: Trans am SE 4 speed
Engine: 400
Name: Chris Barker

Lechler Primer

Post by tecwarrior » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:14 pm

Has anyone on here used or uses Lechler Green TI primer

Old Bird

Re: Lechler Primer

Post by Old Bird » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:42 pm

Not that one, but i have used Lechler products before.

It really is quite a personal thing, ive used nearly all the brand names and some that youve probably never heard of. Sometimes, its not the products, its the people using them.

Ive never had issues with any primer, that ive used, expensive and cheap. Its like asking Devillbiss or Sata ? everyone has a preference. I did a spray job with a $5 spray gun that i got from the states in a Diy store, the gun wasnt going to last, but for five bucks !

But coming back to it, no, i havent. Are you doing the work yourself ? any experience ? It will do what its intended for.

tecwarrior
POC Newbie

Post by tecwarrior » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:38 pm

i am a fully qualified panel beater and sprayer. I have used many different types but not this one. the guy at the shop told me that you only mix hardner with it and no thinners. well, i may have just put the primer in the shutz gun lol. I have since spoken to another painter who uses the ti high build and he said to mix it 4:1 instead of 5:1 and add 10% thinners. So, once i have flatted the car back off i will try that and see what happens. Guess its best to speak to the guy that uses it and not the one that just sells it

Old Bird

Post by Old Bird » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:46 pm

I mix 4 :1 and then add some thinners, again it depends on the conditions im painting in, id look at the data sheets.

The places i get my materials from are ex bodyshop people that have experience, that helps sometimes, the most interesting conversations are stateside, same products, different terms and language ! Ive sprayed in Indiana, 11pm at night, when the temp was still way too high, never mind the humidity.

tecwarrior
POC Newbie

Post by tecwarrior » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:01 pm

there are so many variables when it comes to painting. It can be a real nightmare

Old Bird

Post by Old Bird » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:57 am

So very true mate.

Unfortunately experience and knowledge is all. Sometimes people are lucky. I had a guy that thought it looked easy and said he could do it no problem.

He bought a Devilbiss and then proceeded to make boo boo after boo boo, lol. I left him to drown in his arrogance.

Good luck though, i do wish you well with this.

tecwarrior
POC Newbie

Post by tecwarrior » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:26 pm

ha ha, its good fun watching ppl like that. Thanks, i have my fingers crossed