Paint job problems

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
curlywurly
POC Newbie
Year: 1974
Name: Sarah

Paint job problems

Post by curlywurly » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi All,

I have a 74 car that had a bare metal respray carried out in August 2010 which cost me quite a bit at the time, think I paid £3000 if not slightly more. At first i was quite happy with the paint, the car is not a mint show piece, but it is mine and I like to drive her. However I parked her up when the mot ran out in the September 2013 and it was on the driveway underneath a breathable car cover. I did not use her at all in 2014 and she was sorn for the year. In the September last year, we uncovered her to wash her etc, and I noticed that a big split had appeared above the drivers door in the roof, and a crack had also appeared running for most of the width of the roof in line with the doors. There was bubbling underneath the back window, and again on the front wing into the engine bay. A big split had appeared in the rear wheel arch too. I was not happy! I contacted the original garage, and was told they would have a look at it when I was ready to get it on the road this year. She went for MOT a couple of weeks ago now, had to have a bit of work to get through, and they looked at the roof in particular. Their response was that I needed to pay a further £500 towards the cost of a respray of the roof, and that they would take the remainder of the job as a loss. In their opinion, the car had previously been rolled, and that due to filler and vibration of the vehicle this had caused the marks to appear. Now I did not use it at all in 2014, so how can vibration of caused this? Is this due to having being parked up with the breathable car cover? What do you think?

Would be interested on your thoughts please, as I feel slightly cheated to say the least, and cannot afford to pay out £500 to put the roof right, but this is not gonna stop me from taking her out this year! Just give me a bit of slack if you see us at Billing lol

thanks,

Sarah

curlywurly
POC Newbie

Re: Paint job problems

Post by curlywurly » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:18 pm

bhm1712
Site Admin
Membership No: 20-607
Year: 2001
Model: Trans-Am WS6
Engine: 350
Name: Ian

Post by bhm1712 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:25 pm

I once had to store my car outside under a "breathable" car cover and the damage it did was unbelievable.

This looks to me like the paintwork had a small blemish probably not visible to the naked eye which allowed water to get underneath and start to rust the metal below as well as possible movement of filler used underneath. The car cover would have harboured the moisture and encouraged the rust growth. The movement below the paintwork caused by the rust has pushed the paint to the point of cracking as it has done.

this could be sorted out before it gets worse but wouldn't be cheap to do it right.
Ian Hopkinson - Membership Manager & Forum Administrator
Northern England & Midlands Rep

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:27 pm

trying to get my words out right here -

i mean that i think the filler has caused a blemish in the paint due to movement/cracking and this has allowed water to get in and do more damage by causing rust for form as seen by the stain.

curlywurly
POC Newbie

Post by curlywurly » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:34 pm

will try and take more pics tomorrow, the big crack in the roof width wise does not have any water marks in it, I will take pics of the other problems and post up so you can see them, thanks for the reply though,

sarah

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:35 am

The large rust stain appears to be as a result of water dripping down that part of the roof and has come from inside the crack bringing it out small particles of rust which have formed on the surface of the paint where the water has been dripping. That would easily rub off with some scrubbing. The main issue is what appears to be filler movement causing that crack. The body shop who sprayed the car should have noticed that when they rubbed it down. I would say the cause of it is poor preparation of the roof metal by either use of too much filler or ignorance to previous use of large amounts of filler.

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:37 am

These cars do flex especially in the roof area and so any large bits of filler would have a tendency to break free from its adherence to the metal below.

curlywurly
POC Newbie

Post by curlywurly » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:53 pm

curlywurly
POC Newbie

Post by curlywurly » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:57 pm

Hopefully you can see the other pics from the above link?

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:42 pm

Yes they are ok to view. Definitely looks like a lot of filler has been used by the body shop who painted her. The damage on the rear quarter panel behind the wheel arch looks like theres at least 3-5mm of filler thickness which has broken free from the metal below and cracked off. Paint is not that thick and metal wouldn't do that - its got to be filler.

I would be taking it back to the body shop and making a complaint about the over indulgent and poor use of filler. Yes it may be some years ago, but the damage would not be occurring if they had not used to much filler/prepared the body correctly. Its not something which you could find out about until something like this happens as you can't see below the paintwork. If they deny it i would complain formally.

curlywurly
POC Newbie

Post by curlywurly » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks Ian, I am taking it to another reputable garage in a couple of weeks to let them have a look, they do work on my friends mustangs, but I think I already know the answers. I think I will put a letter together and put in a complaint in writing and just see what happens. Am not holding out much hope though. Appreciate the replies on here, so many thanks for taking the time to reply

Sarah

curlywurly
POC Newbie

Post by curlywurly » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:21 pm

well, contacted the co owner of the original garage, waste of time. He is saying it is due to the way I store the car outside under the cover and it holding moisture, causing the roof to split and claiming this is due to a previous repair. Also this previous company is no longer trading. I wonder why!!! so just gonna have to live with it until such time and funds as I can get it sorted properly.

jonbullnose
POC Newbie
Membership No: 14-A367
Year: 1972
Model: bully/parrisiene
Engine: 400
Name: Jon Steel

Post by jonbullnose » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:23 am

yes as ian said filler i would say is the cause and car covers even good ones tend to cause condensation between the cover and car and of cause filler and primer are both porus, to be honest 3k is not a lot to respry a complete car as it would of needed a lot of prep a propper bare metal with pannel beating and cutting out all the rot and letting in new metal as long as it was not to far gone would be around 10k i have rebuilt a few 2nd gens and i have often had to do a parcial reskin of the roof and a lot of work round the screens, just for a good blow over spray job ie no resto work would be 3k with a ok finish, this is not to exscuse the garage i would of just said after the strip and finding the issues that the budget was not big enough that is why most resto shops do not quote for that work as its a total unknown until its stripped just my thoughts jon

fenton
POC Newbie
Membership No: 15-G031
Year: 1972
Model: pontiac firebird
Engine: 398
Name: shane fenton

Post by fenton » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:12 am

Put a vinyl roof on