New radio speakers for 3rd Gen

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Firebird NW
POC Newbie
Year: 1989
Model: Firebird Coupe
Engine: 170
Name: Glenn

New radio speakers for 3rd Gen

Post by Firebird NW » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:57 pm

The radio and speakers seem to have a mind of there own. First drive of the car yesterday and firstly onl frnt drivers side speaker working. The front passenger side speak crackeld for a while before becoing silent.

Then this morning, completely randomly, the back speakers came alive :-?

Any thoughts? Faulty head unit/speakers?

I saw this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331196330161? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Obviously wont get over the issue of radio frequency but i dont listem to much radio anyway.

bhm1712
Site Admin
Membership No: 20-607
Year: 2001
Model: Trans-Am WS6
Engine: 350
Name: Ian

Re: New radio speakers for 3rd Gen

Post by bhm1712 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:03 am

Seeing as though no Thirdgen people have commented I'll try to offer some advice.

To be honest, with radios and speakers you can pretty much go for whatever suits you - this may mean getting hold of a specially made head unit surround for a thirdgen but they are made and available. The issue you have sounds like it may be the head unit or the speaker connection on the back of it at the very least.

In terms of fitting new and better speakers you can fit whatever you like as well, providing they fit! Mods will be necessary to get the new speakers to fit as I can pretty much gaurantee that the mounting holes won't line up.

To be honest, the best way is to remove the old ones and take them along to the shops to see what physical sizes match.

I did my second gens last year and i fitted 6x9s in the original location on the back shelf, but I had to open the holes up from the original size which I believe was 5x8. For the fronts I didn't have an original size to compare to so I measured the space and bought the nearest sized speakers I could find and made them fit. I used the existing speaker wiring as that was fine and I'm sure yours will be too as its a newer car. I did have to cut off the original speaker and head unit plugs however and splice modern ISO ones in. Not overly complicated at all
Ian Hopkinson - Membership Manager & Forum Administrator
Northern England & Midlands Rep