Interior Refresh & Seats

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Beardog
POC Newbie
Membership No: 14-G406
Year: 1979
Model: Trans Am Y84
Engine: 400
Name: Lawson Smith

Interior Refresh & Seats

Post by Beardog » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:41 pm

I'm probably not the only Trans am owner who would like to give the car a spirited drive, but can't purely because I end up the other side of the cabin if I get too enthusiastic - the standard seats may look ok but they are useless.

After a long search, I found some seats that could be fitted relatively easily. not too much metalwork required to make a set of adapter mounts, and with a little subtle rework of the leather (giving them piped edges and a few horizontal stitches to resemble the period Trans Am seats), they look the part for me.

While at it I ditched the old underlay, gave the cabin a lining of adhesive sound/heatproofing foam mat, then fresh underlay, refitted the carpets and love the result.

If anybody else is considering a seat change, look our for a pair from a Mk1 Audi TT.

Davy J
POC Posting God
Membership No: 09-R61
Year: 1999
Model: FIREHAWK
Engine: 350
Name: DAVE

Re: Interior Refresh & Seats

Post by Davy J » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:11 am

That's very professional looking, well done. :thumb:
Dave. Vice Chairman & Publicity Manager

Firebreather
POC Elite Poster
Membership No: 20-446
Year: 1987
Model: Firebird Formula
Engine: 350
Name: Mark McCubbin

Post by Firebreather » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:52 pm

I laid down all that sound proofing and foam mats on top in my 3rd gen as well. It definitely makes a difference! Although I did end up with a million cuts all over my hands! When I put the plastics back in, I used felt tape on the back of all the bits, especially around the edges where they would rub against another bit, and now no rattles either! :)

I do like those seats. What did you have to do to get them to fit? I'm assuming it would be similar for a 3rd gen as well, but they'd look good in mine :)
KARR. 1987 Firebird Formula 5.7 V8 MANual. Grrr... SUPER LOUD electric exhaust cutout! (ERV) GRRR!!!
and 1998 3.8 Firebird BlackTail :D

Things I need: Fuel tank ventilation thing, fan temp sender, fit rear speakers, fit electric window switches, fit fender vents, get new fuel cap

:3rdgen: :4thgenblue: :crazyyellow:

Beardog
POC Newbie
Membership No: 14-G406
Year: 1979
Model: Trans Am Y84
Engine: 400
Name: Lawson Smith

Post by Beardog » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:06 pm

Used some 30mm box section at the back and 30x5mm bar at the front with a short piece of 25mm box on one side (uneven floor) to adapt between the factory floor mounts and the Audi seat rails - you can see the fabrications on the first picture poking out of the sound mat. The seats work really well, great support/comfort and for my eyes at last they don't look wrong in the car.

The car certainly sounds more solid after the soundproofing as well, really happy overall with the changes.