2nd gen rear seat belts with shoulder strap

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
G20BlazerTA
POC Jr. Poster
Year: 1979
Model: TransAm
Engine: 403
Name: PAUL

2nd gen rear seat belts with shoulder strap

Post by G20BlazerTA » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm curious,has anybody ever come across a 2nd gen with rear factory three point seat belts,(ie, with rear lap and shoulder belts) ? I think they were an option on some 1st gens but although I think all 2nd gens have the reinforced two hole mounting points either side on the rear parcel shelf I don't think i've ever seen shoulder belts in the rear of a 2nd gen.
Would be safer if you have kids in back of car with these fitted.

Did come across a company that does them - andoverrestraints.com
their inertia reel bolts to the rear parcel shelf

thirdgen

Re: 2nd gen rear seat belts with shoulder strap

Post by thirdgen » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:05 am

i would have thought it was fairly easy to fit in yours

liveseywhu
POC Newbie
Year: 1972
Model: trans am
Engine: 455

Post by liveseywhu » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:21 pm

never seen them but would be easy to fit

G20BlazerTA
POC Jr. Poster

Post by G20BlazerTA » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:15 pm

Leum
POC Newbie
Model: Firebird (basic)
Engine: 305
Name: Leum Dunn

Post by Leum » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 am

Just wondering if you had any issues with insurance? I'm very keen to do this myself (very happy to see it should be simple bolt in job on my 79).
Name: Leum - Location: Norwich - Membership No: 10-P163
1979 Pontiac Firebird - Chevy 305 cu, Holley carb, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster twin exhaust.

thirdgen

Post by thirdgen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:45 pm

why insurance probs ? nothing to do with them is it ? like that when i bought it lol

BRYDENGTA

Post by BRYDENGTA » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:46 pm

I have never been asked about seat belts before so would not think it would effect it

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:23 pm

the only problem I could see with insurance is if someone was hurt in the car while wearing them and made a claim
then if they did not have correct british standard or equivalent rating/marking they may not pay out

Richard J
POC Newbie
Year: 1974
Model: Pontiac
Engine: 400
Name: Richard jones

Post by Richard J » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi Kev, do you know if these would fit in a 74? I have the same issue, would like to be able to safely put kids in the back

Cheers

Richard

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:23 pm

lack of reinforced mounting point on earlier (non wrap around rear window) cars?
if so it would not be too hard to weld in a reinforcement

Richard J
POC Newbie

Post by Richard J » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:45 pm

SUPERCHARGEDGTA wrote:lack of reinforced mounting point on earlier (non wrap around rear window) cars?
if so it would not be too hard to weld in a reinforcement
Damn knew it wouldn't be that easy :(

Richard J
POC Newbie

Post by Richard J » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Has anyone ever used these?

http://www.seatbeltservice.co.uk/?gclid ... tAod6XcAuw

I just phoned them and they quoted me £178 plus VAT to install belts in the back, customed fitted to suit the car and it's a mobile service...

Seems a decent price, as I would have to get a welder involved then fit them myself?

They would have to fit them to standard as well

mmm

bhm1712
Site Admin
Membership No: 20-607
Year: 2001
Model: Trans-Am WS6
Engine: 350
Name: Ian

Post by bhm1712 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Seems a lot to me. The seatbelt anchor points will already be there, 2 on the transmission tunnel accessed by removing the rear seat bases. (2 minute job) and 1 at the sides of the seat bases also accessed by removing the seat bases. If your going for 3 point belts the. You only need to drill 2 holes and use a large heavy duty bolt into the metal behind the rear seat backs. They are also easy to remove. Just get some CE approved belts, bolt the inertia reel at the sides of the seats ( there is already a space moulded into the plastic side panels for them) and then bolt the other end to the new holes you drill. The clasp secures to the transmission tunnel.
Ian Hopkinson - Membership Manager & Forum Administrator
Northern England & Midlands Rep

Richard J
POC Newbie

Post by Richard J » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:25 pm

bhm1712 wrote:Seems a lot to me. The seatbelt anchor points will already be there, 2 on the transmission tunnel accessed by removing the rear seat bases. (2 minute job) and 1 at the sides of the seat bases also accessed by removing the seat bases. If your going for 3 point belts the. You only need to drill 2 holes and use a large heavy duty bolt into the metal behind the rear seat backs. They are also easy to remove. Just get some CE approved belts, bolt the inertia reel at the sides of the seats ( there is already a space moulded into the plastic side panels for them) and then bolt the other end to the new holes you drill. The clasp secures to the transmission tunnel.
I might have a look first, I am quite handy, but it is safety of the kids after all, these people would do it day in day out so I would expect their expertise to be better than mine :-/

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:50 pm

Richard J wrote:
bhm1712 wrote:Seems a lot to me. The seatbelt anchor points will already be there, 2 on the transmission tunnel accessed by removing the rear seat bases. (2 minute job) and 1 at the sides of the seat bases also accessed by removing the seat bases. If your going for 3 point belts the. You only need to drill 2 holes and use a large heavy duty bolt into the metal behind the rear seat backs. They are also easy to remove. Just get some CE approved belts, bolt the inertia reel at the sides of the seats ( there is already a space moulded into the plastic side panels for them) and then bolt the other end to the new holes you drill. The clasp secures to the transmission tunnel.
I might have a look first, I am quite handy, but it is safety of the kids after all, these people would do it day in day out so I would expect their expertise to be better than mine :-/

If you do get somebody in be sure to tell them about the pre installed anchor points before they try and drill holes in your car.

Richard J
POC Newbie

Post by Richard J » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:54 am

If I go that route they would be some serious supervision ;0)

Richard J
POC Newbie

Post by Richard J » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:56 am

bhm1712 wrote:
Richard J wrote:

If you do get somebody in be sure to tell them about the pre installed anchor points before they try and drill holes in your car.
Cheers for the info as well

monaroq
POC Jr. Poster
Year: 1980
Model: Trans Am
Name: Craig small

Post by monaroq » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:10 pm

bhm1712 wrote:
Richard J wrote:

Can you by chance send me a pic of this as trying to get a belt in mine for wheels, planning to do it tomorrow or Wednesday.

G20BlazerTA
POC Jr. Poster

Post by G20BlazerTA » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:56 am

There is a raised area with two holes in each side on the rear parcel shelf that looks strong enough to fix the shoulder belt to,often wondered why 2nd gens had these holes from the factory. Can't think of any other use for these mounting holes

monaroq
POC Jr. Poster
Name: Craig small

Post by monaroq » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:14 pm

G20BlazerTA wrote:There is a raised area with two holes in each side on the rear parcel shelf that looks strong enough to fix the shoulder belt to,often wondered why 2nd gens had these holes from the factory. Can't think of any other use for these mounting holes
Your a legend!! Mine is covered in glued down vinyl so wanted to be precise so i only remove it where need be!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

carterdj
POC Newbie
Year: 1977
Name: Darren

Post by carterdj » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Kev, You won't need rear seat belts, he will be old enough to sit in the front by the time you are finished with it !!!!!! Got any parts for sale at the moment?

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:57 pm

monaroq wrote:
G20BlazerTA wrote:There is a raised area with two holes in each side on the rear parcel shelf that looks strong enough to fix the shoulder belt to,often wondered why 2nd gens had these holes from the factory. Can't think of any other use for these mounting holes
Your a legend!! Mine is covered in glued down vinyl so wanted to be precise so i only remove it where need be!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

If you go in the boot and actually get in you will be able to drill through these exact holes from below to get through the parcel shelf cover vinyl and padding, then you will know 100% where to remove the vinyl from above

carterdj
POC Newbie
Year: 1977
Name: Darren

Post by carterdj » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:16 pm

I already have hotchkiss springs and leaf springs, what size is the rear sway bar, i just have the stock 77 on it now.

Al
POC Newbie
Name: Alisdair

Post by Al » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:48 pm

I ordered a set of these recently and theve sent me a 2 point belt. looking on the website they are now listed as a 2 point. Im sure they werent when I ordered them, did you get what is in the picture?

Terry-D

Post by Terry-D » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:04 am

kev 190164 wrote:i will be putting modern belts in the back of mine because my grandson will be attending a lot of shows so will need to belt in a child seet if it is possible
I think billy will be driving you to shows in your car by time you finish it ,you won't need the rear belts :D