Swapping TPI setup onto LG4

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
warlord
POC Jr. Poster
Membership No: 20443
Year: 1983
Model: Trans Am
Engine: 305
Name: Richard Funnell

Swapping TPI setup onto LG4

Post by warlord » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:57 pm

I was just wondering, would the TPI setup from an 89 350 fit on a 305 LG4(carb) in my 83 T/A?

I know the TPI injectors and ecm would need changing for the 305 version. Just not sure if it'd bolt on as I know the 87 on blocks are different somehow.
Thanks.
Richard
"Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemy's" - Starscream.
1983 Trans Am 305 LG4
Member: 20443 - Richard

Newcastle knight
POC Poster
Membership No: 20-825
Year: 1987
Model: Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350
Name: Scott

Re: Swapping TPI setup onto LG4

Post by Newcastle knight » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:19 pm

hmmm, not sure really, first thing to check is if the manifold fits on the older engine, then you might have to fit a newer electric fuel pump to give you the right fuel pressure to the TPI's fuel rail.

im currently swapping my 305 TPI engine for a 350 one. Ive sold the TPI engine but ive kept a few bits off it like the ECU, and ive also got a really nice condition engine wiring harness from an 89, i was told it would fit my 87 but its different so its no good to me, that was 140 quid well spent....

warlord
POC Jr. Poster
Membership No: 20443
Year: 1983
Model: Trans Am
Engine: 305
Name: Richard Funnell

Re: Swapping TPI setup onto LG4

Post by warlord » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:06 pm

I've been doing some searches on thirdgen.org and it looks like it'll fit. I just need to oval out the 4 middle bolt holes and use an adapter as the bolts are at a slightly different angle.

The TPI setup I have was from an 89 gta 350 that I stripped, so I have most of what I need. just need some 305 injectors 305 ecm etc, I'll have to get a new fuel pump too as the car was a non runner and best to be safe. I think some of the wiring needs a bit of repair and a few connectors are missing.

I've got to recon my heater box as I'm fed up with those little bits of foam blowing out the vents and it hisses for a bit before doing anything. so as I have to take the dash out, I might as well put the 89 dash in. will be easier than wiring in the tpi to the current fuse box. plus I can have central locking and delay wipers as a bonus. depending on how easy it is to change the wiper switch in the column as the 89 didn't have one.
"Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemy's" - Starscream.
1983 Trans Am 305 LG4
Member: 20443 - Richard