Is this cam scrap?

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
warlord
POC Jr. Poster
Membership No: 20443
Year: 1983
Model: Trans Am
Engine: 305
Name: Richard Funnell

Is this cam scrap?

Post by warlord » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:27 pm

just a quick one, I've started to clean the roller cam from the L98, heres a pic. it is slightly pitted. guessing that means it's now junk?
thanks
"Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemy's" - Starscream.
1983 Trans Am 305 LG4
Member: 20443 - Richard

jonbullnose
POC Newbie
Membership No: 14-A367
Year: 1972
Model: bully/parrisiene
Engine: 400
Name: Jon Steel

Re: Is this cam scrap?

Post by jonbullnose » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:08 pm

i would say the end bearing journal surface has seen better days but what is of more concern is the last cam lobe next to the journal is looks like it has had a shortage of oil i would look into that before fitting a new cam it could be cuased by a lifter going soft and starting to dig into the lobe :-/

warlord
POC Jr. Poster
Membership No: 20443
Year: 1983
Model: Trans Am
Engine: 305
Name: Richard Funnell

Post by warlord » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:27 pm

It's not from a running engine. it did have some surface rust that I started to clean off. it's been sitting in my shed for a year. Makes me feel a little better that the engine had some oiling problem causing damage. so I didn't let a usable £200 cam go rusty lol.

I've spoken to a local machine shop about the 350 block. If the bores clean up with a max 0.080in bore, it'll still need more money spent. so I've decided to rebuild my 305. I was never after loads of power, just a little more than I have now and a bit more modern than a stock LG4. depending on funds, I may do in two stages. first swap to TPI, then do the bottom end in a year or 2.
Reason I asked about the cam, I'm thinking of also changing to a roller cam setup and the l98 cam wound me a nice upgrade too
"Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemy's" - Starscream.
1983 Trans Am 305 LG4
Member: 20443 - Richard

jonbullnose
POC Newbie
Membership No: 14-A367
Year: 1972
Model: bully/parrisiene
Engine: 400
Name: Jon Steel

Post by jonbullnose » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:42 pm

an 80 thou over bore is pretty large and you would need new pistons, rings, ect around £1500 normally for parts and machineing to do a rebuild thats doing it properly with you doing the re assemble work ,changing to roller cams can be a good thing allowing you to run much higher and more agressive cam profiles ,but i would normally say you should always look at other parts in the system before uprating it ,do a compression check or a leak down test to see what condition the engine is in before chucking cash at it if the rings /bore is damaged there is no point in throwing money at it with out sorting that first ,as the more power you try to extract out of any engine the more strain you put it under hence why f1 engines last a race or so ,to be honest once you break open an engine there will nearly always be work that needs doing its often hard to know when to stop lol, :thumb: