Fans on an 87

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Newcastle knight
POC Poster
Membership No: 20-825
Year: 1987
Model: Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350
Name: Scott

Fans on an 87

Post by Newcastle knight » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:20 am

Hi all,

I let the car run for a while the other day and the fans never kicked in so i turned it off before it got too hot.

Im not sure which relays are for the fans, i think one of them might be a small-ish one thats clipped onto the back of the RH headlight ? and amongst that is a larger relay connector, and the relay is actually missing, but im not sure if that is for one of the fans or if it was something to do with the emissions crap that used to be in that spot

I fitted a new fan switch in the block so i know thats ok, i was hoping to just have them come on when the car wants instead of re-adding all the extra wiring i had again

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Re: Fans on an 87

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:18 am

the relay is on right front beside radiator. if this is missing they wont come on
as standard the fan dose not cut in till past the 3/4 mark on the gauge, nearly in red. then goes off just above half
always a little worrying in traffic but seems to work :-/

hypertech do a chip that brings fans in earlier to keep it below half or you can add a switch, or a kenlow style adjustable fan switch (or have them on all the time)
note- the relay has power continuously and ECU earths relay to turn fans on

Newcastle knight
POC Poster
Membership No: 20-825
Year: 1987
Model: Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350
Name: Scott

Re: Fans on an 87

Post by Newcastle knight » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:01 pm

Looks like the small relay that clips onto the back of where the headlights bolt too is for one of the fans, and im guessing the large standard size relay is for the other fan. I did have them on switches with the old engine i was just hoping to have to add a load more wiring again, although having them on switches let me keep the car nice and cool all the time.

I had my memcal reprogrammed in the states so im wishing i had of known at the time he could of changed when the fans come on, damnit.