leaking oil and water

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Newcastle knight
POC Poster
Membership No: 20-825
Year: 1987
Model: Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350
Name: Scott

leaking oil and water

Post by Newcastle knight » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:13 pm

Joy of joys....ive just started putting the car back together after getting it running good and now im getting leaks, and these dont appear to be easy type of leaks where you nip up a jubilee clip

First of all is the oil leak, i noticed this one while investigating the water leak ! i first noticed a droplet of oil on one of the starter motor bolts, then noticed some on the plastic cover that goes over the flywheel and torque convertor, so after a hunt around i think it might be coming from the back of the head as it was quite wet, so i wiped it off and left it for a bit, and it was wet again, i also noticed wet at the back of the block too which you can see in my video

I took the header off so i could get at the last head bolt to see if it needed nipped up but it was totally solid, so now im getting worried. If this engine needs to be stripped down again im going to blow a fuse.

Anyway, they say a picture is worth a thousand words......so a video must be worth a lot more

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Re: leaking oil and water

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:15 am

sure its not coming from valley cover? (between heads) as if not enough instant gasket is used and area degreased first it can leak at back of engine (had this on mine while rushing to get headgasket changed 2 days before mersea car show a few years back)

Newcastle knight
POC Poster

Post by Newcastle knight » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:25 am

Not sure John, so if its between the heads do you mean the part where the intake meets the heads ? so im going to have to have to get down there somehow to check

webbel
POC Elite Poster
Model: Trans-Am GTA
Name: John Graddon

Post by webbel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:44 pm

My camaro had a leak similar to that.used to drip down onto the headers. Though the car was on fire first time I drove it.
Turned out to be from the valley as John said.
Worth checking that first

Newcastle knight
POC Poster

Post by Newcastle knight » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:50 pm

I took the dizzy cap off to get my hand around that area, dizzy gasket is dry, oil pressure switch is dry and i managed to get my hand up the back of the engine so far following the join of the head to the block and that was dry too !

i think i fixed my water leak however, i let the car rum for a while and took it for a little spin then checked for drips again and it was dry underneath, i also checked at the back of the head and it looked a bit shiny again, so maybe it is weeping out of where ive pointed out in my vid ?

in not sure if smearing some sealant around there would work or not if i wipe it all down and clean it

jonbullnose
POC Newbie
Membership No: 14-A367
Year: 1972
Model: bully/parrisiene
Engine: 400
Name: Jon Steel

Post by jonbullnose » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:25 pm

looks like i could be comimg from the head gasket area if the rocker seals are ok, were the heads checked for flatness and no corossion on sealing areas before the install? and what made you rebuild the engine in the first place just so it can give us an idea ,there is no piont in try to seal it from the outside it will not work as you have oil pressure behind that weep so would just push the sealant out after 5 mins

Newcastle knight
POC Poster

Post by Newcastle knight » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:02 pm

I bought the engine last year from a friend, strong running engine, then only problem with it was the valve stem seals needed replacing. With it sitting on a pallet in the garage i decided to send it to an engine shop for a once over, so they stripped it, inspected it and all was well with the valves and valve seats etc, so they changed the stem seals, oil pump, flywheel and reassembled it with a new gasket kit. Im sure they said they skimmed the heads while it was apart.