Shopping List for Head Gasket (3.8 1998 firebird)

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Firebreather
POC Elite Poster
Membership No: 20-446
Year: 1987
Model: Firebird Formula
Engine: 350
Name: Mark McCubbin

Shopping List for Head Gasket (3.8 1998 firebird)

Post by Firebreather » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:20 pm

What things do I need to get when changing the head gasket?

I have been quotes about 15 hours labour to take out and put back the engine, and take it apart. So adding a 5 hour buffer on top of that it would only be £1000 for labour (I say only, but I was expecting a lot more!). But then I have to get the parts as well.

Seeing as the engine is coming apart, what other bits and bobs is it also worth changing? I don't want the bill to double though!

1. Head gasket kit - whats a good quality one? I don't want one which I could have made myself from a cereal box! What else does the kit come with?

2. Water pump is making noises so I may as well change that.

3. Exhaust manifold gaskets and spark plugs. (the garage reckons the engine would probably have to come out anyway to just change the gaskets on the headers because its so tight in there)

4. ?
KARR. 1987 Firebird Formula 5.7 V8 MANual. Grrr... SUPER LOUD electric exhaust cutout! (ERV) GRRR!!!
and 1998 3.8 Firebird BlackTail :D

Things I need: Fuel tank ventilation thing, fan temp sender, fit rear speakers, fit electric window switches, fit fender vents, get new fuel cap

:3rdgen: :4thgenblue: :crazyyellow:

jonbullnose
POC Newbie
Membership No: 14-A367
Year: 1972
Model: bully/parrisiene
Engine: 400
Name: Jon Steel

Re: Shopping List for Head Gasket (3.8 1998 firebird)

Post by jonbullnose » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:31 am

first off just to doubble check what tests have been done to confirm its a head gasket issue? sniff test,compression check,leakdown test,coolant system pressure check,ect unless full tests have been done you cannot be 100% sure, the reason for a headgasket failier ideally needs to be found ie radiator blocked, water pump failed cuasing you to run out of coolant stuck thermo stat ect other wise you will be doing it again shortly , you will need to budget for the following the heads must be skimmed and pressue tested and ideally valves vacuum tested this should cost around £200 you will need to budget £150 for head repairs ie cracked head or more common corrosion around water ports that needs welding other wise headgasket will not seal ,valve seats and or guides may need work,valve stem seals will need changing for sure,the header faces may well need to be skimmed if they have been blowing for a long time .and the headers them selfs may need skimming as well

just buy a complete engine rebuild gasket set as the head only coversion gasket sets normally dont have ex gaskets intake gaskets and are normally rubbish just buy ac delco /felpro or the like for good quality, new water pump new thermostat and a radiator if its iffy you may need little bits like rad hoses fuel line ect do it properly the once or it will just bite you in the ass in the long run i do a lot of headgakets and rebuilds and have never had one fail yet

thanks jon