Help: Automatic drive not functioning properly

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
kittnut
POC Newbie
Year: 1990
Engine: 0
Name: Sarfraz

Help: Automatic drive not functioning properly

Post by kittnut » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:31 am

Hi there

I'm new to the board, recently picked up a 1990 Firebird Formula TPI V8. Although engine and body are absolutely cracking I've got a weird problem with my transmission. Car goes into 1,2 and R fine enough and it engages drive and drive overdrive but in both drive' gears it doesn't shift up correctly. It seems to hang in gear rather than upshift. I've checked the oil and I've been advised to check the transmission oil both in park and in drive. In park the oil reads at full, but in drive it reads at low. Any advice?

Previous owner did say the transmission oil was recently changed from dex II to dex III, would that make a difference?

If I can't resolve the issue then can anyone recommend a garage near Gants Hill in Essex where I can get this looked at, cheers.

Sarfraz

214jay
POC Newbie
Membership No: 11-T250
Year: 1989
Model: Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350
Name: Jay

Re: Help: Automatic drive not functioning properly

Post by 214jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:03 am

Welcome to the forum! Good to see another Formula owner on here.

The change of oil should not make a difference, Dex III should be compatible. Is the oil a good colour and not blackened? Would have been good to see the condition of the old oil.

Your shirting problems may be as simple as an adjustment of the TV detent cable...This controls the shifting of the tranny. Should be this cable circled in the pic below

This link describes the procedure for the adjustment

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

kittnut
POC Newbie
Year: 1990
Engine: 0
Name: Sarfraz

Re: Help: Automatic drive not functioning properly

Post by kittnut » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:13 pm

Thanks. I've had Rocky from American Technique have a look at it and its going to be a replacement transmission. Hopefully I'll get my car back next week and start enjoying it :-)