Cam break in overheating issue/ airlock?

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
johnny46
POC Jr. Poster
Membership No: 14-F402
Year: 1977
Model: Trans am Firebird
Engine: 400
Name: Johnny walker

Cam break in overheating issue/ airlock?

Post by johnny46 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi all

I am trying to break the cam in on my engine and unfortunately the engine water temp is shooting through the roof, I managed to get 4 minutes into a 1500rpm break in on the cam and the temp got too high and I had to knock it off.

The top hose was Cold so I removed the stat in case this wasn't opening and tried again but again the problem arose, the top hose is now hot and full of pressure I'm guessing I have an airlock and its preventing the proper circulation??

The rad cap is full of pressure and wanting to spurt water everywhere, why hasn't it gone up to the rad cap and into the overflow?

I filled the system initially at the rad cap with the rear hose of and once it was there I put the hose on and continued till it was at the top,

Also I have no fan shroud so it won't be cooling as Good as it should, will I be able to run the car at 1500rpm for 10 mins and keep a safe temp??
If the above is right how to I solve the airlock?

Thanks in advance people

Johnny

bhm1712
Site Admin
Membership No: 20-607
Year: 2001
Model: Trans-Am WS6
Engine: 350
Name: Ian

Re: Cam break in overheating issue/ airlock?

Post by bhm1712 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:42 pm

If it is an airlock the best way to do it is to run the engine with the radiator cap off to allow the bubbles to "burp" out of the system but unfortunately this will not help with the cam break in! you don't want to ruin the cam faffing around with cooling issues!!

if there is pressure in the system not being vented by the rad cap - is the cap faulty?

try running it with the cap off and see if you can see signs of air coming to the top and venting.
Ian Hopkinson - Membership Manager & Forum Administrator
Northern England & Midlands Rep

johnny46
POC Jr. Poster

Post by johnny46 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:24 pm

I remember at first when it was running after a few minutes it was burping out of the rad cap as I had left it of, but it was burping and chucking water out so I put the cap on

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:58 pm

I usually drop the level to about 3 inches below the filler neck when burping the system. If it's chucking out water at the rate which it sounds like your describing it sounds a bit extreme....do the bubbles get worse when you Rev up?

johnny46
POC Jr. Poster

Post by johnny46 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:06 pm

To be fair I had it at the top so not surprised it was burping it out, I will drop it then and try again, didn't rev just had it at constant 1500rpm for the break in then knocked it off. Would the engine stay at a safe temp if the cooling system is correct and without a shroud?

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:09 am

I know of people who don't run with a fan shroud and whilst it's not best practice and dramatically alters the flow of air through the radiator they must be able to cope. Having said that I would never run without a shroud. Maybe get some big fans in front of the car if possible? 1500 rpm at a standstill is not a routine thing so it may well throw up some overheating issues without a shroud. Have you checked the fans coupling is working ok?

johnny46
POC Jr. Poster

Post by johnny46 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:57 am

I haven't bled the system properly there's one prob I need to sort, fan coupling? It's connected and spinning with the engine? I will search tomo for some big industrial fans and have them on it when I next kick her up. Thanks for ya help so far dude

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:30 am

The fan will be driven from the water pump via a viscous coupling. With the engine off you should be able to turn the fan over and feel resistance but the water pump pulley will stay static. The viscous coupling alters how much drive is applied to the fan depending on engine speed and temperature. If it's worn out the fan will basically free wheel and just spin with no real effort and draw little air through. When you first start the engine if you Rev to about 2000 you should hear and feel the fan working and then around 10 seconds later the fan will slow down and the noise will alter until the engine starts to warm through and then it will start getting faster and pulling more air through again.

Simple test is to roll up a newspaper and make it quite firm, with the engine at temp or getting towards overheat you put the rolled up newspaper end into the path of the fan. If the fan stops the coupling is worn out. If the newspaper is shredded to within an inch of its life chances are the coupling is fine. Hold the paper very firmly!!

Having said all the above, some earlier pontiacs and modified ones have had the coupling removed and changed to direct drive.

If it has something akin to the following picture directly behind the fan blade hub then it's got a viscous coupling
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

johnny46
POC Jr. Poster

Post by johnny46 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:38 am

Yes that's behind the fan, it looks like it runs pretty fast I wouldn't want my hand there lol will try the paper held firmly :-) it will have a shroud on it but only when it goes to robin in a few weeks

Big Chief
POC Newbie
Membership No: 88-001
Year: 1966
Model: most of them
Engine: 462
Name: Robin Gray

Post by Big Chief » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:57 am

Johnny,
Best to give me a ring so i can talk through what you have done at the beginning.

johnny46
POC Jr. Poster

Post by johnny46 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:11 pm

What's your number dude ?

johnny46
POC Jr. Poster

Post by johnny46 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:11 pm

Ah Robin I will ring you shortly