removing oil cooler and pipes 3rd gen

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Newcastle knight
POC Poster
Membership No: 20-825
Year: 1987
Model: Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350
Name: Scott

removing oil cooler and pipes 3rd gen

Post by Newcastle knight » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi all,

You know that little cooler that sits directly above the oil filter ? well mine has been leaking forever, put new pipes on it and it still leaks ! and i was under the car tonight doing something else and noticed two manky hoses from the engine bay and followed the two metal pipes, and it turned out they are the pipes to and from this oil cooler.

Is this cooler necessary ? as in i was thinking it would be a hell of a lot easier to disconnect both ends and get these big metal pipes out all together, one reason being because the two pipes run right past the bottom of the timing chain cover, and thats where my oil leak is coming from, so if they are out the way i might be able to get into the cover better to get it off and change the seal.

yay or nay ?

Scott

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Re: removing oil cooler and pipes 3rd gen

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:47 pm

if you remove the oil filter, you will find the threaded part the filter screws on has a hexagonal bit at the top
put a socket/spanner on this and undo it and the oil cooler will come away leaving another threaded tube to screw the filter on

if you decide to remove it you will have to bypass the water hoses (these are the metal pipes that run round the engine)

you dont need it (lower performance versions dont have one) but it is better to keep it as cooler oil is good
oil is responsible for much of the engine cooling

Newcastle knight
POC Poster

Post by Newcastle knight » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:05 pm

i would of just left the cooler on there until the next time i change the oil, which will be next year, i was just gonna take the hoses off and try and get the metal pipes off too.

If its not gonna make a massive difference to the cooling i might just pull it all out and plug the pipes at the engine and then get all the metal pipes out for good

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:48 pm

dont suppose keeping it cool is a problem in Newcastle Upon Tyne ;)

Newcastle knight
POC Poster

Post by Newcastle knight » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:50 am

ha ha, not at the minute its not, the weather is.....how shall i say, piss poor at best !

Well i think i might just do that then John, disconnect the lot and pull the pipes out to free up some working space, then if the car starts running hotter i might panic and put it back together, lol