How nice does your 3rd gen ride ?

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Newcastle knight
POC Poster
Membership No: 20-825
Year: 1987
Model: Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350
Name: Scott

How nice does your 3rd gen ride ?

Post by Newcastle knight » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Ive got a week and a half to decide if im getting a set of Eibach Pro kit springs or not, so im just wondering if this is the best option for me. I drove my mates 3.1 Firebird today and it seems to drive a bit smoother than mine, it doesnt rattle around as much over bumps etc.

he's got 15" wheels on with standard tyre size, 215/65/R15 i think, hes fitted new rear springs, just standard replacement ones and new rear shocks, i think they were monroe ones, fairly decent. Apart from that i dont think hes replaced much else.

my cars got 14" wheels on with 205/75/R14 tyres, its a GTA so its got the WS6 springs, over the years ive fitted new shocks, struts, sway bar end links, swaybar bushes, hotchkiss panhard bar, GM wonderbar and new ball joints.

Ive been told the Eibachs are great and reduce rattles a bit, but if they are a sporty spring will they not be quite firm ? im wondering if i need to get some better shocks and struts to help perhaps ?

warlord
POC Jr. Poster
Membership No: 20443
Year: 1983
Model: Trans Am
Engine: 305
Name: Richard Funnell

Re: How nice does your 3rd gen ride ?

Post by warlord » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:24 pm

Mine seems to ride quite nice, do get some rattles and such. but i have standard trans am springs, combined with the age factor my suspension is probably quite soft. ok, i've never driven another one, so have no basis for comparison.

Last year i replaced the front and rear sway bars, big difference in size, e.g my old rear one was about 12mm, new one from a gta is 28mm.
Didn't notice any difference in driving. but then i don't drive fast. haven't full throttled kitt in months. shocking i know :oops:

If the Eibachs are sporty type ones, i'm guessing that'll mean a firmer ride. For shocks and struts i think a lot of people like the KYB GR2's as they are not too pricey and seem to perform ok, at least that's what i've read. i think that's what they are called anyway
"Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemy's" - Starscream.
1983 Trans Am 305 LG4
Member: 20443 - Richard

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:06 am

got the eibachs and kyb's on mine and drives very nice
rocky is doing some good deals/prices on full sets of shocks/dampers (monroe I think)

has your mates car got T tops?
solid roof cars have much less rattles etc

Newcastle knight
POC Poster

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:01 am

Yeah his is a T-top too. im wondering if its the GTA springs ? i think i might still go for the Eibach Pro kit then and then look at fitting some better shocks and struts later in the year or something.

Ive also got all new steering components too fit, i get a knocking when reversing near to full lock at the minute, which i think is the right hand tie rod balljoint thing is worn out so im hoping my new centre link, idler arm, tie rods etc will help out a bit too

John did you notice much difference when you swapped the GTA springs for the Eibach ones ?

banker
POC Ultimate Poster
Membership No: 20-184
Model: TransAm
Name: James

Post by banker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:56 pm

I noticed a big improvement over stock springs with my eibachs, you may want to consider KYB AGX shocks ans struts as I found them better than gr2
Membership no: 20184 James Little C Image
With an official 325 horse power and 405 lbs of torque

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:03 pm

yes, noticed a much better ride, but mine did have really knackered shocks, and changed them and springs at the same time

Newcastle knight
POC Poster

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:07 pm

So it is decided ! Eibachs first then i will get some better shocks and struts too, then if it still rattles around there must be a huge crack in the chassis somewhere i havnt noticed, lol.

My aunties are going to New York in 3 weeks and they have agreed to bring me a set back, they work out at 123 quid from Advance Auto's with a discount voucher...BARGAIN

banker
POC Ultimate Poster
Membership No: 20-184
Model: TransAm
Name: James

Post by banker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Have you got a Wonderbar fitted? If not these will tighten up the flex in the front frame. I've gone a bit overboard with strut brace, wonderbar and sub frame connectors which has made the body very stiff. Benefit of the AGX shocks is that they are adjustable so you can firm or soften the ride fairly easily with the twist of a dial. The GR2 can be a bit firm if you've got potholed roads near you (who hasn't)
Membership no: 20184 James Little C Image
With an official 325 horse power and 405 lbs of torque

Newcastle knight
POC Poster

Post by Newcastle knight » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:17 pm

I have got a wonderbar fitted yeah, felt a bit tighter going into a bend at a fair speed after i fitted it so it does make a noticeable difference. i might look into these AGX shocks then James, i bet they aint cheap !