how to make a v6 exhaust sound good?

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Firebreather
POC Elite Poster
Membership No: 20-446
Year: 1987
Model: Firebird Formula
Engine: 350
Name: Mark McCubbin

how to make a v6 exhaust sound good?

Post by Firebreather » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:29 pm

I may have ruined my car... It's a 3.8 v6 4th gen. It did have the stock 2.5" exhaust on it, but one tail pipe fell off last year and it had big holes in the back box so I put another back box on. It still has the stock centre section, but the new back box is 3". I wanted it a little bit louder and with a bit of a burble. But now it sounds like a new f1 car - kind of rubbish! And I may have ruined the back pressure because it feels slower and uses more petrol. So an all round fail!

I wasn't expecting v8 noise, but I rented a new v6 mustang a few months ago in Miami and that sounded quite nice. But mine sounds a bit like a Vauxhall nova driving round halfrauds car park on a Friday night!

So, other than putting a stock back box back on, what can I do? Can you get bits to put in the centre pipe to make it a bit quieter or to change the tone, and give me some back pressure back?
KARR. 1987 Firebird Formula 5.7 V8 MANual. Grrr... SUPER LOUD electric exhaust cutout! (ERV) GRRR!!!
and 1998 3.8 Firebird BlackTail :D

Things I need: Fuel tank ventilation thing, fan temp sender, fit rear speakers, fit electric window switches, fit fender vents, get new fuel cap

:3rdgen: :4thgenblue: :crazyyellow:

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Re: how to make a v6 exhaust sound good?

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:36 pm

it dose not need back pressure (that will reduce power output)
it needs the correct diameter pipe to scavenge exhaust gas and maintain the correct flow rate/speed

Firebreather
POC Elite Poster

Post by Firebreather » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:43 pm

So it needs a 2.5" one putting back on it then?
KARR. 1987 Firebird Formula 5.7 V8 MANual. Grrr... SUPER LOUD electric exhaust cutout! (ERV) GRRR!!!

Things I need: Fuel tank ventilation thing, fan temp sender, fit rear speakers, fit electric window switches, fit fender vents, get new fuel cap

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:48 pm

for bottom end power, yes unless you change induction, cam and heads to use bigger pipe ;)

thirdgen

Post by thirdgen » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:54 pm

attach it to a v8 :D

Firebreather
POC Elite Poster

Post by Firebreather » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Bugger. Time to look for a stock one then. Is there a good exhaust I can put on it which would make it go faster? :D And not ruin my mpg at the same time? (I still have the 3rd gen for when I want to get 12mpg, I kind of liked getting 30+ out of a v6...)

On the plus side, my SES light has gone out. But I doubt that's to do with the exhaust, probably more like the bulb has gone...

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:07 pm

I would think magnaflow and flowmaster etc. make improved systems for a V6