New pump needed!

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
burner563
POC Newbie
Year: 1980
Model: firebird
Engine: 400
Name: sam

New pump needed!

Post by burner563 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:51 pm

My fuel pump diaphragm went up the swanny yesterday. Been looking at oem/carter/holley 110gph options. My pump currently has the vapour return line. Has anyone fitted a pump without a vapour line to a vehicle with one fitted? There seem more vapour free options about.

bhm1712
Site Admin
Membership No: 20-607
Year: 2001
Model: Trans-Am WS6
Engine: 350
Name: Ian

Re: New pump needed!

Post by bhm1712 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:51 am

It's not actually a vapour return line (the vapour return would originally run from the vapour canister and back to the tank directly.
The return line on the pump is for the pump to return unused petrol back to the tank because when the float bowl is full and the fuel inlet closed off by the float in the raised position, the pump still pumps and so it gets pumped round the return line back to the tank. I've heard of people doing away with it without problems, but for longevity of the pump I would always fit a return pump back on otherwise it dead ends when the bowl is full.
Ian Hopkinson - Membership Manager & Forum Administrator
Northern England & Midlands Rep

burner563
POC Newbie
Year: 1980
Model: firebird
Engine: 400
Name: sam

Re: New pump needed!

Post by burner563 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks very much for that. I've already ordered the holley unit. Hopefully it's suitably robust!