wipers stop in stupid position!

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Firebreather
POC Elite Poster
Membership No: 20-446
Year: 1987
Model: Firebird Formula
Engine: 350
Name: Mark McCubbin

wipers stop in stupid position!

Post by Firebreather » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:20 pm

What's this all about? It was raining and all was working fine. Then it stopped raining and the wipers decided to park in the middle of the screen from now on. They still work, and when they're going they still rest in the normal place. It's only when you turn them off they act all stupid! :-/

Does it need a new wiper motor or is there something which I can fix by taking it apart? Or more likely destroy the motor completely by taking it apart... :-D

KARR. 1987 Firebird Formula 5.7 V8 MANual. Grrr... SUPER LOUD electric exhaust cutout! (ERV) GRRR!!!
and 1998 3.8 Firebird BlackTail :D

Things I need: Fuel tank ventilation thing, fan temp sender, fit rear speakers, fit electric window switches, fit fender vents, get new fuel cap

:3rdgen: :4thgenblue: :crazyyellow:

banker
POC Ultimate Poster
Membership No: 20-184
Model: TransAm
Name: James

Re: wipers stop in stupid position!

Post by banker » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:34 am

If it's anything like the 3rd gen the printed circuit board is usually at fault which is housed in the wiper motor. If so you could check there's no breaks or find a second hand one. Sorry not too hot on 4th gens
Membership no: 20184 James Little C Image
With an official 325 horse power and 405 lbs of torque

Firebreather
POC Elite Poster

Post by Firebreather » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:57 pm

Like a dry solder joint? Interesting. I haven't got my solder iron out since I worked at the Science Museum... Although I usually had to fix it with gaffa tape after soldering things! :lol:
KARR. 1987 Firebird Formula 5.7 V8 MANual. Grrr... SUPER LOUD electric exhaust cutout! (ERV) GRRR!!!

Things I need: Fuel tank ventilation thing, fan temp sender, fit rear speakers, fit electric window switches, fit fender vents, get new fuel cap

Firebreather
POC Elite Poster

Post by Firebreather » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:07 am

I've just been doing a bit of you-tubing and it seems that it might not be the circuit board but instead there's a little tab on the wiper transmission which gets pushed away. This video has exactly the same symptoms as mine.

http://youtu.be/KFBLtlnkpuI

But I'll find out when I take it all apart. If the tab is in the right place I'll get the circuit board out instead.