H4 headlight upgrade

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
ChrisW
POC Newbie
Membership No: 15-C010
Year: 1991
Model: Trans Am
Engine: 305
Name: Chris Ward

H4 headlight upgrade

Post by ChrisW » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:11 pm

I wanted to replace the rubbish sealed beam headlights that were on my car. A bit of research turned up Hella part number 1LB 003 177-081 which have the correct left-hand traffic beam pattern and take H4 bulbs. These are 6x4" so only suitable for the later (91-92) 3rd gen Firebirds. They might also work as part of the quad headlight setup on 2nd gens - maybe someone else knows?

The stock wiring runs the lights directly through the switch on the dash which isn't ideal so I made up a new wiring loom to power them via relays.

The finished harness (except for the passenger side H4 plug which I attached after feeding the wiring through the bodywork):

The relays mount perfectly on the stock relay bracket, there were even holes in just the right place for the screws.

With everything installed I got the alignment adjusted at my local MOT place. I'm using Osram Nightbreaker bulbs and I'm really impressed with the light output - much brighter and more even than the old sealed beams. I haven't got a photo of the lights on at night but this is what the new lens looks like mounted in the car:

Davy J
POC Posting God
Membership No: 09-R61
Year: 1999
Model: FIREHAWK
Engine: 350
Name: DAVE

Re: H4 headlight upgrade

Post by Davy J » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:47 pm

A job well done. :thumb:
Dave. Vice Chairman & Publicity Manager