Custom HU Surrounds

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Spikey_Kiwi

Custom HU Surrounds

Post by Spikey_Kiwi » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:11 pm

Just came across these the other day, seems like a nice way to tie in aftermarket head units to the interior.
Looks nice and some good custom options as well.

Just cant decide if its worth the price, especially with shipping

http://www.humount.com/

Anyone come across them before or seen what they are like in the flesh?

JanLarsson

Re: Custom HU Surrounds

Post by JanLarsson » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:04 am

Yes I worked with the owner ower the past month to get one that do fit the 85-92 Firebirds 100% ... it now mounts properly without any modifications in our consoles and the OEM plastic cover/frame snaps in place as it should as well.

The DIN headunits are deeper than the stock GM units so you need to cut the plastic support in the console ... not a big deal but have to be done or the headunit wont install. You see in a couple of pictures what had to be cut out ... I had a spare plastic vent piece I cut and replaced my OEM one with so I can put it all back to stock if needed.

I opted for one without the backlit logo/text as I'd like to keep my TTA looking stock and not "bling" it out; we also centered the opening for the HU verticly meaning it sits a bit higher than it would if you do opt for the logo on there not sure if there's a install issue or not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spikey_Kiwi

Post by Spikey_Kiwi » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:52 pm

looks really nice mate

Already done the cutting to put in my new head the other week so thats no issue- no face plate as yet tho so just have a hole.

Gonna sort the amp and sub install 1st then make my mind up i think.
Need to check clearance for top logo plate 1st as im not sure if that will be an issue (my cars far from stock so not too worried about the bling :) )

Gonna have to ask if they will do only the faceplate as i already have the fitting brackets ect

Cheers for the info tho mate

JanLarsson

Post by JanLarsson » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Spikey_Kiwi wrote:looks really nice mate

Already done the cutting to put in my new head the other week so thats no issue- no face plate as yet tho so just have a hole.

Gonna sort the amp and sub install 1st then make my mind up i think.
Need to check clearance for top logo plate 1st as im not sure if that will be an issue (my cars far from stock so not too worried about the bling :) )

Gonna have to ask if they will do only the faceplate as i already have the fitting brackets ect

Cheers for the info tho mate
Thanks, I'm very pleased with the end result.

The front plate need the backinplate that comes with the kit as it install deeper than any other kit in the market and the plastic frame you find on the head units is also removed for a clean look so I doubt you will be able to use just the front plate from HUmount.com but you can ask.

The backlit version do look really good and I was very tempted I have to admit ... had some cool ideas for the logo but in the end decided not to go that route. Keep us all posted on what you end up with for your TA.