AC Delco Audio Help

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
ps200sx
POC Newbie
Year: 0
Engine: 0

AC Delco Audio Help

Post by ps200sx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:23 pm

My 93 Trans Am has the AC Delco 6 speaker system in it, the amp is located in the passenger side rear sail panel.

When i got the car i replaced the cheap nasty stereo the previous owner had fitted with my Pioneer. Got the wiring colours from someone on US forum.
All seems ok, but hoped to get the sail panel subs working which were previously also not working.

Left it for a few months while i was fixing more importiant things until today where i decided to pull of the passenger sail panel to inspect the amp and check the sub on that side at the same time.

The amp seems fine, looking anyway. Wiring all looks fine, no cuts or joins. Looks all stock.
The sub also looks in great condition.

Tryed the stereo, no sound from sub. Played about with a few settings on it, still no sound from subs.

Thought maby the wiring could be broken or cut to the subs elsewhere, followed the loom right up to were it dissapears under the dash. All looks fine.

Decided to try and unplug the block connector from the Amp and turn the stereo on. Expected to hear nothing, but got sound as normal

Now im totally confused...all the wiring at the HU end seemed stock, the connector block had been cut off but all the wire colours matched up with the info i got.
Every speaker works apart from the sail panel subs, but even with the amp unplugged everything works the same.....

Have i missed something??

From what i heard elsewhere the amp may only power the sail panel subs and i should be checking the amp fuse or the amp turn on wire at the HU end.
Does this sound right? And if so is the fuse in the main fuse box or on the amp?
Anyone know what colour the amp turn on wire is?

Loving the new forum btw, and i have the first post in this new section woohooo!

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Paul
Paul Smith
Edinburgh/Midlothian
93 Trans Am 5.7ltr V8 LT1
Membership Number: 20824
Modifcations:
Eibach Pro-Kit
Gabriel Shocks
UMI Strut Tower Brace
Drilled/Grooved Discs, Kevlar Pads
Polished CAI Elbow, Pipework and K&N Filter

Rocky
POC Jr. Poster
Year: 1978
Model: Trans am
Name: Richard

Re: AC Delco Audio Help

Post by Rocky » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:06 am

Is the amp powering on from the headunit you should have a remote turn on lead going to the amp?

ps200sx
POC Newbie

Post by ps200sx » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:17 am

Can't tell if amp is getting power but got a feeling its not since unpluging it made no difference and the sail panel speakers make no sound at all.

Been looking around other forums aswell, think i do need the remote turn on lead and got a feeling ive not hooked it up to the head unit. You don't happen to know the colour of the remote turn on wire do you?
Have read somewhere its a blue wire and seem to remember a spare blue wire behind the stereo, not 100% sure what i read was for the speaker system in my 93 though.
Gonna try and hook it up tonight on a hunch but would rather have conformation that its the right wire to hook up to power incase im wrong and damage something :D

Cheers
Paul
Paul Smith
Edinburgh/Midlothian
Modifcations:
Eibach Pro-Kit
Gabriel Shocks
UMI Strut Tower Brace

Black T Top

Post by Black T Top » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:48 am

On my 3rd gens and my 2nd gen the blue spare wire is for the power aerial?!!

ps200sx
POC Newbie

Post by ps200sx » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:29 pm

Blue has been the power aerial on other cars ive owned, but as far as i know pink is for the power aerial on my car???
Had a quick look on my lunch break, seems i have a spare pink and a spare blue. Will have a better look when im finished work.

Connected the blue and as far as i can tell has made no difference, should i mady try the pink??
Any ideas??????

Cheers
Paul

Rocky
POC Jr. Poster
Year: 1978
Model: Trans am
Name: Richard

Post by Rocky » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:32 pm

What wires are going into the amp. Is there a pink or blue? I take it you know the right wire coming out of your new headunit?

Black T Top

Post by Black T Top » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:41 pm

Quote: "should i maby try the pink??"

Theres sooooo a joke in there :D

I dont "suppose" it will do any harm connecting it, if its for the aerial the worst that will happen is the aerial will go up....or a fuse will blow....i think :?:

Be worth trying to pick up a Factory Service Manual from http://www.ebay.com/motors I got one for my car and its got superb wiring diagrams and fault finding.

ps200sx
POC Newbie

Post by ps200sx » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:50 pm

Problem solved!! :mrgreen:
So chuffed, what a difference!!! To think i fitted that stereo a year ago and put up with really tinny crappy sound until now. Now ive got great tight bass and amazing clarity.

What it was, was when i removed the old cheap bodged in stereo the connector block had been cut off.
Managed to get a wiring colour guide from a forum somewhere which was just the basic connections.

Had left over after wiring it all up, a gray wire, a blue wire and a pink wire.
They had all been cut and taped back.
As far as my wiring guide said:
GRAY was "illumination" Dimming the display at night (strange though that another wire was also this and works!)
PINK was electric aerial
And BLUE i never got a any info on.

Wired in the blue to the ignition switch wire on the Head Unit this afternoon, got nowt.
After work thought sod it ill take the blue out and try the pink wire....instantly mega bass!!!!!

So to any 4th Gen 93-97 owners with the 8 speaker AC Delco/Bose audio system who have aftermarket head units fitted, and get crappy sound as well as the sail panel speakers not working.
Tap the PINK wire at the head unit end into the ignition switch wire of the head unit wiring loom.

Problem Solved! Great Sound

Thanks for the help

Cheers
Paul
Paul Smith
Edinburgh/Midlothian
Modifcations:
Eibach Pro-Kit
Gabriel Shocks
UMI Strut Tower Brace

ps200sx
POC Newbie

Post by ps200sx » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:03 pm

"Black T Top" Quote: "should i maby try the pink??"
Theres sooooo a joke in there :D
Hehe thought that after i posted it :D

Just shows Pinks the way to go!!
Paul Smith
Edinburgh/Midlothian
Modifcations:
Eibach Pro-Kit
Gabriel Shocks
UMI Strut Tower Brace

Black T Top

Post by Black T Top » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:35 am

:lol:

Nice one, glad you got it sorted.......and yeah, pink is sooooo the way forward!

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:37 am

nice to have a happy ending for the first thread ;)

ls1

Post by ls1 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:36 pm

So, for the avoidence of doubt, it WAS the easy Pink and NOT the tight Brown....

Sorry....

;-)