K&N Air Filters

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Firebreather
POC Elite Poster
Membership No: 20-446
Year: 1987
Model: Firebird Formula
Engine: 350
Name: Mark McCubbin

K&N Air Filters

Post by Firebreather » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:16 pm

I'm looking on Rock Auto for some air filters for the 3rd and 4th gen. There are some bog standard ones for $3 or some fancy K&N ones for $30. Are the K&N ones actually worth it? They say they're designed to improve HP, torque, acceleration etc... but do they actually do anything over the other ones other than have a logo on the side of them?
KARR. 1987 Firebird Formula 5.7 V8 MANual. Grrr... SUPER LOUD electric exhaust cutout! (ERV) GRRR!!!
and 1998 3.8 Firebird BlackTail :D

Things I need: Fuel tank ventilation thing, fan temp sender, fit rear speakers, fit electric window switches, fit fender vents, get new fuel cap

:3rdgen: :4thgenblue: :crazyyellow:

bhm1712
Site Admin
Membership No: 20-607
Year: 2001
Model: Trans-Am WS6
Name: Ian

Re: K&N Air Filters

Post by bhm1712 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Firebreather wrote:I'm looking on Rock Auto for some air filters for the 3rd and 4th gen. There are some bog standard ones for $3 or some fancy K&N ones for $30. Are the K&N ones actually worth it? They say they're designed to improve HP, torque, acceleration etc... but do they actually do anything over the other ones other than have a logo on the side of them?

back in the day when i was messing around bad boying my first decent car :-/ (Ford Focus Zetec 1800) i experimented with lots of " gauranteed to add BHP" stuff and that included two types of K&N air filter. One was a panel filter to fit inside the standard airbox, and the other was a full on cold air induction kit with the cone filter and mandrel bent intake pipe.

With the panel filter, i gained nothing on the dyno. With the cone filter and pipework i actually lost around 6bhp and 10 pound feet of torque on the dyno.

As an added insult, me and the other apprentices at work at the time decided to run particulate tests on the K&N filter over the standard paper elements and to our dismay the K&N allowed a higher concentrate of particualte through than the standard element even with the correct application of the K&N filter oil.

Not worth the extra money and we proved it. Save your money and buy a paper standard one and replace it regularly.
Ian Hopkinson - Membership Manager & Forum Administrator
Northern England & Midlands Rep

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:57 pm

in the end i made more torque and BHP with a standard paper filter and a standard airbox from an ST170 Focus in my 1800 zetec.

Firebreather
POC Elite Poster
Membership No: 20-446
Year: 1987
Model: Firebird Formula
Name: Mark McCubbin

Post by Firebreather » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:58 pm

:lol: that's pretty much what I had thought! I'll stick with the cheap $3 ones. Cheers.
KARR. 1987 Firebird Formula 5.7 V8 MANual. Grrr... SUPER LOUD electric exhaust cutout! (ERV) GRRR!!!
and 1998 3.8 Firebird BlackTail :D

Things I need: Fuel tank ventilation thing, fan temp sender, fit rear speakers, fit electric window switches, fit fender vents, get new fuel cap

:3rdgen: :4thgenblue: :crazyyellow:

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:25 pm

Yes that's the best bet!

If only people were aware of the truth! These companies wouldn't exist.

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:22 pm

the only ones that are better are the cold air induction gets on very restrictive filter housings, like the tpi 3rd gens that have a single pipe sticking out a grasshopper would struggle to breath through, let alone a 5.7 ltr V8

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:32 am

in terms of open cone style filters i can recommend these:

http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-a ... 46637.html

but they wont be any good if the CAI is near to the ground as they cant get wet. The filtration however is as good as a normal paper element.

If your intent on having a CAI with a cone filter i believe, although ive not had chance to ever test them, that these guys filters are ok and filter well as they dont rely on oil to improve the filtering of particulates like the K&N.Basically a K&N cannot function as a filter without the filter oil as the cotton medium is not fine enough to retain all particulates. The oil in effect "grabs" onto those finer particulates.

http://www.aemintakes.com/dryflow_air_filters.htm