Anybody replaced door hinges & pins?

For technical issues not covered in the above categories.

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
GearJammer
POC Newbie
Membership No: 12-E279
Year: 1989
Model: Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350
Name: Jay

Anybody replaced door hinges & pins?

Post by GearJammer » Wed May 30, 2012 8:51 pm

So i think i need to replace the door hinge pins as i think they are worn out, the door shuts ok but feels very clunky and when its being opened after the first notch it feels like it drops slightly and i can lift the door very slightly, its the drivers side door so i expect its just general useage that has caused this. Now i got on order 2x hinge pins to replace both sides but have been doing some research and generally get the idea that its a basterd of job to do but not alot else. Like what extactly is involved or how to do. So has anyone on ere come alcross this before?

Ive got a 89 T/A

Heres the part.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3476973
Current status : Burning

Rocky
POC Jr. Poster
Year: 1978
Model: Trans am
Engine: 0
Name: Richard

Re: Anybody replaced door hinges & pins?

Post by Rocky » Wed May 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Its easier to do it with the door off but if you have to leave it on you just grind the pin tabs off knock the pin out and fit the new bushes, You will probably need to unbolt the hinge to get the bushes in just remember to support the door when knocking the pin out.
If your doing the top ones which are in the picture you linked to you will need to remove the door, Its usually the bottom ones that go due to the weight but if someone lifts the door while you look you will see which one has play.

Newcastle knight
POC Poster
Membership No: 20-825
Year: 1987
Model: Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350
Name: Scott

Re: Anybody replaced door hinges & pins?

Post by Newcastle knight » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:17 pm

ive done this on mine earlier in the year when i fitted 2 new doors so i done it with the doors off which was easier, i bought the hinge rebuild kits from Top Down Solutions, really well made stuff, not like the crappy GM things, its no wonder they wear out and the door starts clattering about.