Petrol tank leak

For technical issues not covered in the above categories.

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
thebandit92
POC Elite Poster
Year: 1980
Model: Trans Am S/E
Engine: 301
Name: Jimmy

Petrol tank leak

Post by thebandit92 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Got a leaking tank,tiny hole,can't even see it.So far tried jb weld,petro patch and some epoxy stuff,all look good until after i move car,then it leaks again.Last thing i tried was sticking a small metal plate over it,using jb weld to stick it on,left it two days to let it set,then put some more over it,then waited two days again then put some more on,waited 3 days then fibreglassed over it.Went out in it today,less than two miles,got back,looked ok,couple hours later went out and it as leaking again.
Getting fed up now,anyone got any ideas,other than changing tank which was brand new a couple of years ago,cars done about 500 miles since fitting it.
.Tim Marotto sugested drilling the hole and putting a screw in it,thats what i am planning next,with some kind of sealer or jb weld etc.A temporary fix would do just so i can go to Tatton show on sunday.
Getting proper pissed off with the car at moment.
http://bandittransport.co.uk/

ITS THAT STREAK OF BLACK LIGHTNING CALLED THE BANDIT EXPRESS

:2ndgen:

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Re: Petrol tank leak

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:27 pm

depends how keen you are, to do it right its tank out, drain and flush then seal. a mate of mine did his with a leading kit as used for body repairs old school style
did it over a year ago and its still fuel tight

thebandit92
POC Elite Poster

Post by thebandit92 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:37 am

SUPERCHARGEDGTA wrote:depends how keen you are, to do it right its tank out, drain and flush then seal. a mate of mine did his with a leading kit as used for body repairs old school style
did it over a year ago and its still fuel tight
I will probably end up doing that,just wanted a quick fix so i could use it this weekend.Was thinking of getting one of those Eastwood kits for it,thats why i didn't really want to drill and put a screw in,feels like i am spoiling it and making it worse for repairing.

thebandit92
POC Elite Poster

Post by thebandit92 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:27 pm

kev 190164 wrote:have you tried tiger seal mastic its petrol oil resistant I used the equivalent on my old tank and it worked
I will try that if i can find any locally,not got time to wait for ebay stuff.When it first started leaking i put silicone sealer on it and it didn't leak for a few days but never used car,then i pulled the silicone off to use the so called proper stuff ::)

bhm1712
Site Admin
Membership No: 20-607
Year: 2001
Model: Trans-Am WS6
Engine: 350
Name: Ian

Post by bhm1712 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:51 am

All of the things you have tried will only work if the tank is empty and no fuel leaks while they cure. JB weld would definitely work if the tank was dry. I've seen that stuff used on some unbelievable repairs! Even cylinder head cracks which leaked coolant.

As a temporary repair I would use chewing gum. Chew it for 10 minutes and then press it over the leak hole. Wait until its got a hard skin but still feels gooey when you press it. This is not a joke by the way! I've seen it done and it darn works!
Ian Hopkinson - Membership Manager & Forum Administrator
Northern England & Midlands Rep

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:24 pm

thebandit92 wrote:
kev 190164 wrote:have you tried tiger seal mastic its petrol oil resistant I used the equivalent on my old tank and it worked
I will try that if i can find any locally,not got time to wait for ebay stuff.When it first started leaking i put silicone sealer on it and it didn't leak for a few days but never used car,then i pulled the silicone off to use the so called proper stuff ::)
probably the silicone from the sealer stopping it bonding, hell of a job to get rid of all of it (as you find out spraying >:(

thebandit92
POC Elite Poster

Post by thebandit92 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:48 pm

I did finally get it to stop leaking,used petro patch again,but this time i used the putty type rather than that liquid and rag type,only takes a hour to dry so didn't need to worry as much about it leaking before it dried.
At some point i will take tank off so i know its completely dry at that part and do it again,unless it stays ok might be better to just leave it.
Guy at paint shop where i bought the 2nd lot of petro patch said same thing about silicone i had put on.