Failed MOT on amber side lights!!

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
black87gtat-top350ci

Failed MOT on amber side lights!!

Post by black87gtat-top350ci » Tue May 25, 2010 5:20 pm

My GTA failed MOT today :-(. Not on things I thought it would though! A broken front near side spring, Handbrake not working on one side, but the main thing is it failed on front side lights because they're amber and not white, I tried to explain that not alot could be done about it but he still put it on the failure sheet! What can I do?

lutonmatt
POC Ultimate Poster
Year: 2001
Model: cl55 amg
Name: Matt

Re: Failed MOT on amber side lights!!

Post by lutonmatt » Tue May 25, 2010 5:35 pm

most of them have a white side light in the front fogs if they do then you can just cut the wire going to the amber side light and then re join it after the test but amber is ok as a running light as most yanks have amber running lights same as volvos
Dr Matt AKA "Dodgy Windows"
kent krew

black87gtat-top350ci

Post by black87gtat-top350ci » Tue May 25, 2010 6:05 pm

cheers for that, I'll have a look later. :thumb:

Firebreather
POC Elite Poster
Membership No: 20-446
Year: 1987
Model: Firebird Formula
Engine: 350
Name: Mark McCubbin

Post by Firebreather » Tue May 25, 2010 6:55 pm

There's nothing wrong with amber sidelights, but you do have to have clear sidelights aswell. For transams its not too bad because you can convert the fog lights, but there are a lot of butchered firebirds and formulas around with clear side lights stuck on the front bumper >:( My last firebird was butchered by the MOT people without them telling me, I was not impressed as they looked really stupid. I made sure to rip them off as soon as I got home. Of course if you go to the right MOT people who arent so anal about that sort of thing then you'll have nothing to worry about! Which is why I got to surrey for my MOT ;)
KARR. 1987 Firebird Formula 5.7 V8 MANual. Grrr... SUPER LOUD electric exhaust cutout! (ERV) GRRR!!!
and 1998 3.8 Firebird BlackTail :D

Things I need: Fuel tank ventilation thing, fan temp sender, fit rear speakers, fit electric window switches, fit fender vents, get new fuel cap

:3rdgen: :4thgenblue: :crazyyellow:

thirdgen

Post by thirdgen » Tue May 25, 2010 7:52 pm

poxy mot do your head in they used to fail my handbrake every year and tighten it up so you couldnt pull the lever up and they was binding like hell is that safe.........stupid idiots cant use common sense its a shame.

then i just used john :thumb: no problems

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Tue May 25, 2010 11:34 pm

:thumb:

DANGEROUS BOB

Post by DANGEROUS BOB » Tue May 25, 2010 11:39 pm

paulgta wrote:poxy mot do your head in they used to fail my handbrake every year and tighten it up so you couldnt pull the lever up and they was binding like hell is that safe.........stupid idiots cant use common sense its a shame.

then i just used john :thumb: no problems

Yep helps to find a good tester,
mine says every year, ... handbrake dont really work much, passes anyway :D :thumb:

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Tue May 25, 2010 11:43 pm

as said, you can fit a sidelight bulb in the front fog lights
one of the neatest ways is to fit a white LED in the front indicator unit, in the blank square next to the amber section

v8trans

Post by v8trans » Wed May 26, 2010 9:27 pm

I wouldn't of thought that was a problem as a majority of yanks have amber sidelights. I think he's just being picky. I will ask my mot man at work and see what his views are.

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Wed May 26, 2010 9:50 pm

there are a list of lights that are required, any other lights do not come into the test, as long as they do not contravine the regulations (no red lights showing to the front, no white lights showing to the rear)
or you can remove all the side/headlights then you only need stop lights and indicators. rather drastic way to go though

black87gtat-top350ci

Post by black87gtat-top350ci » Thu May 27, 2010 6:27 pm

SUPERCHARGEDGTA wrote:as said, you can fit a sidelight bulb in the front fog lights
one of the neatest ways is to fit a white LED in the front indicator unit, in the blank square next to the amber section
That's the route I'm going. :thumb:

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Thu May 27, 2010 7:30 pm

thats what I would do if I didnt do my own MOT's ;)
(got blue LED in mine, just to be different/awkward) :oldevil:

thirdgen

Post by thirdgen » Thu May 27, 2010 7:46 pm

they didnt mind the orange lights or the plates non holding seats or red indicators but just my handbrake ! where i used to go how does this system work its crazy
had a stone chip in the screen passangers side for years always passed but one year decided to fail that also :evil:

oh yeah i had my track rod end fail one year it was brand new year before failed that every year too so i took it off resprayed it and it passed.... cocks

fo to a poc tester every time i would travel 100 miles if i had too :usa:

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Thu May 27, 2010 9:48 pm

:thumb:

BRYDENGTA

Post by BRYDENGTA » Fri May 28, 2010 8:45 pm

SUPERCHARGEDGTA wrote:thats what I would do if I didnt do my own MOT's ;)
(got blue LED in mine, just to be different/awkward) :oldevil:
Ive got red ones just to be even more awkward :p

steveoooo1
POC Newbie
Name: Steve

Post by steveoooo1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:01 pm

wheres the best place to get the led's you speak of john?

Retro
POC Jr. Poster
Membership No: 11-E207
Year: 1995
Model: Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 350
Name: Pontiac Pete

Post by Retro » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:23 am

Talking of M.O.T's. My other car a Chrysler fail this week on having the custom wheels fitted on the wrong way around. I then explained the that your gararge had passed my Chrysler for the last five years without ever mentioning of the custom wheels :think: And as to who fitted these wheels in the very first place...the very same gararge now failing the car :veryangry:
Making The World A Better Place...One Muscle Car At A Time...