FAILED!!!!!HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Taffdiver69
POC Newbie
Year: 1976
Model: 2nd Gen Firebird
Engine: 67
Name: Dil

FAILED!!!!!HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Post by Taffdiver69 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi guys the Firebird went in for mot today and failed on number plates and cracked passenger side mirror, he passed it on the hand/foot brake wire though he wasnt to happy, he was also gonna fail it on emmissions until he saw the look on my face and I nicely explained to him that I took the car into the garage on lpg and therefore it has to be tested on what I drove it in on and the testing station cant change it over to petrol just for mot, so he allowed me that point bless him lol So were the hell do I stand on these number plates because it has 76 firebird on the top and bottom of the plates it failed I was informed that this year the law changed and nothing other than the registration numbers are allowed on the plates????? Fair enough will concede that but nothing was mentioned about the size of the plates???? am I still allowed to have the square plates? the long ones on normal cars wont fit into the bumper recces's front/back on mine unless I just tie wrap them on somehow!!!!! they are only on for the mot then theyre coming straight frigging off, so am I allowed the square plates (like motorbike ones) on my car???? Also I've been reliably informed that I have to take log book, proof of address etc when ordering number plates, is this right? and is there anything else I need to take like 8 litres of my frigging blood and my life savings for proof grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Oh!!!! and does anyone have a passenger side mirror guys just thought I'd ask here before I try elsewere, Paul said pontiacparts might have them? kinda desperate again now, just the plates and mirror stopping me from driiving her grrrrrr :( :( :'(

bhm1712
Site Admin
Membership No: 20-607
Year: 2001
Model: Trans-Am WS6
Engine: 350
Name: Ian

Re: FAILED!!!!!HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Post by bhm1712 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:58 pm

What is on the plates? You are allowed motorcycle sized letters and numbers on American imports and the number plates can be square/ rectangular. The law didn't change this year on import plates. If you get then made now, you need to show proof of ownership (logbook ) and prove or identity (driving license)

When they are made now, they have to show the name and postcode of the place that made them but no requirement for old plates to show this info and you don't have to replace the plates just because they don't show it.
Last edited by bhm1712 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Hopkinson - Membership Manager & Forum Administrator
Northern England & Midlands Rep

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 pm

If the plates are American style pressed metal and not the correct font they will fail. Car sales places stick their logos on the bottom of plates now so I can't see that a little logo or writing below the main reg can be a fail.

The brake cables are not a fail however much they say they are as that's how the car was made and they cannot prove otherwise. If the hand brake works then there is no issue anyway!

What were the emissions figures? The limits for non cat cars are very high and our cars should easily pass. 4.500% CO and 1200ppm hydrocarbons. These are the only 2 tested items in the non cat test.

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:06 pm

For the Mirror I would get one of those plastic stick on ones from say halfords or similar, cut it to shape with a junior hacksaw and file and double side tape it to the cracked mirror. You can sort it properly at a later date.

Find a better garage !!!

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Sorry I see that it says 76 firebird on the plates... Easy - get some yellow and white insulation tape and cover the writing. Rip it off when you get home.

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:13 pm

http://www.poc-uk.org.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 48&start=0

Check this thread for number plate info

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:08 pm

as said, small letters/numbers plate is fine
technicaly there should be no wrighting/images on plates, though only a cock would fail them
you need log book/V5 and proof of identity to get plates, blood is optional ;)
is the mirror the same as a1976 firebird?
pre 1978 an interior mirror or a left side mirror is a pass
options are a left side mirror, a right side mirror and an interior mirror. pre 1978 any 1 of above is ok, 1978 0n a right hand mirror and either of the others is ok
see link below, go in and demand an appeal form, tell him why and suggest he checks the testers manual as that is his bloody job

if the '76 mirrors are the same I think I have got one you can have :thumb:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_810.htm

Taffdiver69
POC Newbie

Post by Taffdiver69 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:21 pm

bhm1712 wrote:http://www.poc-uk.org.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 48&start=0

Check this thread for number plate info

Many thanks for all your help Ian much appreciated mate but I'm sure the tossers here wont allow the insulation tape cover up but gonna try it first anyway just to see what he says :D

Taffdiver69
POC Newbie

Post by Taffdiver69 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:36 pm

SUPERCHARGEDGTA wrote:as said, small letters/numbers plate is fine
technicaly there should be no wrighting/images on plates, though only a cock would fail them
options are a left side mirror, a right side mirror and an interior mirror. pre 1978 any 1 of above is ok, 1978 0n a right hand mirror and either of the others is ok
see link below, go in and demand an appeal form, tell him why and suggest he checks the testers manual as that is his bloody job

Many thanks John like Ian you've been a great help mate yeah it is the original mirror for my 76 Firebird (it has the normal american "objects may look closer etc etc" written on the bottom of it anyway) that would be excellent if you do have one budddy I could buy off you, don't weant to piss them off to much here as there's only 2 mot testers in a radius of 30 miles and I've already pissed one off lmao but still gonna mention it to him, friendly like lol

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:36 pm

just noticed yours is a '76 :whistle:
will see if I can find it, I know i have got one, just got to find it

lutonmatt
POC Ultimate Poster
Model: cl55 amg
Name: Matt

Post by lutonmatt » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:23 pm

if it has a inside mirror then he cant fail
and how bad is the crack

and the plates just tape them up
or new ones off ebay don't need anything on there
Dr Matt AKA "Dodgy Windows"
kent krew

lutonmatt
POC Ultimate Poster
Model: cl55 amg
Name: Matt

Post by lutonmatt » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:25 pm

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s08000101.htm

An obligatory mirror or indirect vision device: a. obscured, damaged or deteriorated so that the view to the rear is seriously impaired b. does not provide an adequate view to the rear or is incapable of being adjusted to provide an adequate view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr Matt AKA "Dodgy Windows"
kent krew

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Taffdiver69 wrote:

Many thanks John like Ian you've been a great help mate yeah it is the original mirror for my 76 Firebird (it has the normal american "objects may look closer etc etc" written on the bottom of it anyway) that would be excellent if you do have one budddy I could buy off you, don't weant to piss them off to much here as there's only 2 mot testers in a radius of 30 miles and I've already pissed one off lmao but still gonna mention it to him, friendly like lol
you could stop in and say a mate is sending you one but that he is an MOT tester and wondered why you wanted one as it is not a failure on a pre 1978 car

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:50 pm

go in and lay the law down! they dont like it if you threaten to appeal!

Taffdiver69
POC Newbie

Post by Taffdiver69 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:01 pm

bhm1712 wrote:go in and lay the law down! they dont like it if you threaten to appeal!

Ordered new plates £7 each plus vat only gonna be on for about 5 mins lol Not gonna go in and lay down the law Ian I seriously aint got that sort of temperament and I have to change the mirror anyway as its a big crack and annoying the hell out of me so gonna go with the flow lmao and If I did go in an lay down the law I know me and 10 seconds after talking he'll be banged out on the floor as I have no time whatsoever for people with a little god complex really rubs me up the wrong way but luckily I take the car to my mates garage and he takes it over for the MOT so I dont have to deal with the MOT luckily enough for the tester :whistle: :whistle: so have ya found the mirror John???? gonna need it really soon as the free retest is gonna run out in a short while and will be paying another bloody £60 for a MOT .......

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:49 pm

£60 ?!!!

Only paid £35 for mine at kwik fit!

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:01 pm

should only be maximum £54.80 and have 10 working days for retest

sorry taff, cant find it. David said he would look tomorrow (he is away till tonight)

BRYDENGTA

Post by BRYDENGTA » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Yeah I will look tomorrow mate before I go to work :thumb:

Taffdiver69
POC Newbie

Post by Taffdiver69 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:33 pm

SUPERCHARGEDGTA wrote:should only be maximum £54.80 and have 10 working days for retest

sorry taff, cant find it. David said he would look tomorrow (he is away till tonight)
Cheers David appreciated!!!! maximum of £54.80??? mines bloody £59.80 grrrrr can't stop laughing here now, bless him lmao yeah been informed of that 10 days working thingy, for some reason i thought it was 5 but not gonna get stressed over it now, not now that I know all about mirors/mot rules thanks to you guys :thumb: but like I said I do need one as it really frigging annoys me knowing that its cracked......... Note to Self: Look behind you when swinging your frigging heavy duty strimmer around in the shed grrrrr