Do i need all this?

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
tecwarrior
POC Newbie
Year: 1977
Model: Trans am SE 4 speed
Engine: 400
Name: Chris Barker

Do i need all this?

Post by tecwarrior » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:54 pm

OK, I have a pontiac 400 that is bone stock i started by thinking i would put as much back to factory as i can after painting the engine and replacing a few parts like water pump fuel pump, the usual stuff. Some of the vacuum pipes were blanked off and i have no idea where they go as some of the fittings in the inlet are blanked off too. So, what i would like to know is, how much of it is actually needed and do i need the egr valve? Also there is an emissions pipe that comes from one of the rocker covers and goes into the air filter housing. I have new covers and the hole is at the end and not in the middle. do i need to run a new pipe back to the filter or can i just stick a breather filter in the hole.

Big Chief
POC Newbie
Membership No: 88-001
Year: 1966
Model: most of them
Engine: 462
Name: Robin Gray

Re: Do i need all this?

Post by Big Chief » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:05 pm

You can put a breather filter in the valve cover place.
Are you running a Rochester Q-Jet as some of these pipes get complex, as originally there were various thermal vacuum switches to do with delayed ignition advance, and exhaust divert valve (efe valve). The EGR valve is better not connected
so do you have standard inlet manifold and are you running standard exhaust manifolds or headers.

tecwarrior
POC Newbie

Post by tecwarrior » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:57 pm

It has a rochester on it with original inlet and hedman headders

Big Chief
POC Newbie

Post by Big Chief » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:16 pm

OK
the large pipe at the bottom front of the carb goes to the PCV valve in the front of the valley pan.
the rear should have a xmas tree outlet, screw thread connection goes to the brake servo, other smaller unions in the same place go to small pipe to the bulk head which controls the heater flaps and another to the vac servo for the auto box.
At front left side from sitting in drivers seat,small pipe is distributor vacuum other larger pipe is the carb float bowl breather
do not blank this one,any other small pipes blank off except right middle of carb which is the vac choke pull off valve that also controls the secondary opening flaps. thats it mate.

tecwarrior
POC Newbie

Post by tecwarrior » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Ok Robin, thanks for that. So do i just blank off the egr valve. Mine is a manual so i am guessing there wont be a pipe or its blanked off for the auto box

Big Chief
POC Newbie

Post by Big Chief » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:27 am

If you have the EGR valve fit it as its easier to blank the holes with the unit, but do not connect any vac to it.
it has nothing to do with being a manual car.
if you want everything to be back to original then ported vac goes to the EGR valve.

tecwarrior
POC Newbie

Post by tecwarrior » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 am

ok, thanks for the info :thumb: