Engine Ice

Moderators: Regional Representative, Technical Advisor

Forum rules
Only fully subscribed club members may post in this section. Please keep these threads on topic.
Nutts
POC Newbie
Year: 1979
Model: Trans Am
Engine: 403
Name: PaulC

Engine Ice

Post by Nutts » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:16 pm

http://www.engineice.com/uses/auto

Has anyone used (or would recommend) this product on older engines to help get the temp down? Any foreseen issues in using it on a 455ci?

Cheers
Paul
67 GTO 455ci
79 T/A T Top 403ci

bhm1712
Site Admin
Membership No: 20-607
Year: 2001
Model: Trans-Am WS6
Engine: 350
Name: Ian

Re: Engine Ice

Post by bhm1712 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:15 am

I wouldn't bother to be honest unless your suffering from temperature issues. The engine needs to run at a certain temp goverened by what temperature thermostat is fitted and if its not exceeding this or only by a little as all engines do I wouldn't worry about trying to get the temperature down. It's alright trying to lower the temperature of an engine, but overheating is caused by a fault and trying to mask it by using a different type of coolant is really only a band aid and not a fix. If the engine can't maintain the correct temp then there must be a fault with the radiator, thermostat, fan, head gaskets etc etc.
Ian Hopkinson - Membership Manager & Forum Administrator
Northern England & Midlands Rep

Nutts
POC Newbie

Post by Nutts » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks Ian. I dont have a heat issue (although engine is running warmer while my rpms are higher with the 3.73 gears, but that's a separate issue I've listed on the others threads!), but the product was recommended by a motorbike fanatic who races the TT, suggesting it's better to get the temp down anyway, especially on older engines i.e. to help reduce stress. I'm not an expert on this but it made sense. They use this product in racing so they can block off vents / grills for better aerodynamics - I dont need to do that, but if it got the general running temp down a bit, I was wondering whether this was a good thing for the engine, or not as you say.
67 GTO 455ci
79 T/A T Top 403ci

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Does your car have a temp gauge? If so what temperature is it getting too with the high rpms?

To be honest I read your other post about the gears and what revs the engine does at 60 and 70. Mine has standard rear gears and she does about 2800 at 70 with a 3 speed th350. So your 3000+ rpm is a little high bit not unusual for the gear ratios your using I would have said. Is it just the noise that is making you think it's stressing the engine?

Nutts
POC Newbie

Post by Nutts » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:20 pm

Yeh it's the noise, the fact it feels straining at that cruise speed (When I've rev'd it up to 4500rpm in 1st, 2nd etc and it revs very freely, just doesnt sit nicely at a constant 3000rpm that's all, doesnt feel like that's its sweet spot), but it's more the worry of straining it as I was told not to run these engines at high rpm for long. The gear stick does vibrate more aggressively at 3000rpm too and rattles - you dont want your hand on that for long as I'd get white knuckles! Again, just feels strained and not pleasant for any length of time as it requires high level of concentration as it's quite fractious. Anyway, I will be addressing rpms when I source some 3.08 gears (which I'll need to find) and some larger diameter 15" Torq thrust 2 wheels and tyres which should move my wheel diameter to 26.5" from 25".

Yeh I have a temp gauge. The other day when I had her on the motorway at 60mph in 27C day (was a hot day) i was running up to 200-205F up long hills at times and then down to 190F if I eased back off the pedal going down long hills, and down to 180-185 when off the motorway. Drove it back 200miles from London once on a much cooler day and it was about 165F on the motorway for the entire 200 miles, pretty constant, outside temp was about 10-12C. I have a fan overide also so have used that (not sure if you should use than when moving or only when stationary?). The temp does go up if running and stationary, just havent let it rise high enough to see if it would just keep rising or hit a max point where it wont go any hotter (but not overheat).

What temp should it run at? What temp should I NOT let it go above? If I wrapped the headers that would take some heat out of the engine bay too, move the gears to 3.08 etc. so should all help, hence my asking if this product will bring the core temp down another 5-10F also.
67 GTO 455ci
79 T/A T Top 403ci

bhm1712
Site Admin

Post by bhm1712 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:46 pm

200-205 degrees F is what?, around 90-97 degrees C....i think off top of me head!

for a hot day and cruising at 60 id say thats fine. Im sure john will back me up on that. With a 16 pound pressure cap on (assuming thats what you have got) the coolant wont be near boiling at that. Ive heard people quote that the time to worry is if they start going upto about 220 degrees F. Normal driving range for a big V8 would be between 85 and 100 degrees in my opinion.

i think your cars temp is fine...problem is, if you start using a product which claims to lower the temp by 5-10 degrees, then if its a cold day and your driving along at say 40mph, if your temp would usually be say 190 degrees F, then this product might lower it to 180 degrees F which is getting a little bit on the cool side for an engine to operate at optimum.

SUPERCHARGEDGTA

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:26 am

as ian said its not over hot, and carb engines dont run well/efficiently below minimum running temp.
to be honest 5-10 degrees is hardly worth the effort
be better getting a better radiator and let the stat. do its job

Nutts
POC Newbie

Post by Nutts » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:47 am

Ok good advice guys, thanks.
67 GTO 455ci
79 T/A T Top 403ci

jonbullnose
POC Newbie
Membership No: 14-A367
Year: 1972
Model: bully/parrisiene
Engine: 400
Name: Jon Steel

Post by jonbullnose » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:05 pm

slightly on the hot side but not major i would only advise using it if you were running a 403 old engine as that engine with its siemease cylinders is very prone to blowing a headgasket